I just released an update to the San Francisco Surf Conditions prototype application. I added the following features:
- Scrub – you can now scrub the timeline by dragging it or using the arrow keys. Spacebar starts/stops the animation, and backspace takes you to the beginning.
- Date Range Selection – There are five options for date range. The first four are: past 24 hours, 2 days, 1 week, or 2 weeks (default). The fifth option lets you select a Specific Date and displays ~3 days of data centered around the chosen date.
- Weather Info – shows the current weather conditions at a WeatherBug station at Lafayette Elementary School. The weather info is updated every few seconds. Currently, the app shows:
- Barometric Pressure
- Daily + Monthly Rainfall
- Wind Speed – including a ticker showing wind speed over time
- Wind Direction – this is the gauge on the map. It shows current wind (blue), average wind (yellow), and max gust (red). The gauge is centered at the location of the weather station: 4545 Anza St
- Loop – checkbox to loop the animation
- Hide Gauges – checkbox to hide the weather gauges, except wind direction
I’m not crazy about the styling of the gauges, so I’ll probably work on making those look cooler. And there are still many features I want to add, like:
- tides and moon phases
- sunrise / sunset
- water temp
- wind speed and direction at the buoy
- more buoys
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. Please let me know what you think.